Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Life in a Cat House

Frank (Blue Max) has a new evening ritual.  Now, I've heard that it's good to have rituals, that they give your life order and structure.  Maybe it works for him but his newest ritual makes bedtime interesting for the people in his house.
This is the goal at the end of the day... having Frank asleep.  But Frank has other ideas and has decided that he likes to wrap up his days with a walk... outside...late... when the things that eat cats are out and around.  Now, you have to remember that Frank is an indoor cat, for his own protection.  I don't think I've ever known a cat that needed a keeper more than Frank.  But, Frank has learned that if he gets lined up to the front door 'just right', he can very casually stroll out the front door when Ken comes back into the house after taking Yellow Max out to the garage for the night which is usually about 9pm. We finally figured out that since Ken painted the front door a very light color, Frank doesn't show up against it and it helps him slip by, unnoticed. Sort of like cat suburban camouflage.

The latest episode happened last night.  I got ready to go to bed (midnightish) and realized I hadn't seen Frank for awhile and he hadn't done any zooming through the house for a couple hours.  So, I stepped out onto the front steps in my pj's and slippers and called him.  He strolled up to the gate in the rain and asked me to come open it for him... I told him to jump it like a real cat which he eventually did.  Then, he stopped to nibble grass and his body language told me that if I got any closer, he'd do a runner.  Now, you have to remember, Frank doesn't have a good 'outdoor' cat coat... he's a little thin in places, just like his brain.  You'd think he'd be happy to get in out of the rain.  So, I went and got the cat treats, shook the bag and zoom, Frank was back in the house.   It never hurts to have a bag of cat treats close by.

I'm going to have to go back to hanging onto Frank when Ken comes in at night...  he's a sweet cat but maybe a little brighter than I've given him credit for.  Gotta love him.





No comments:

Post a Comment